Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My Obamacare Experience, Part II

I said back in early October that I would document my Obamacare experience, so here's the next installment.

A few days ago, I went back to New York State's Insurance Exchange website, nystateofhealth.ny.gov. I found that the account I wasn't sure I'd properly set up in early October, was set up properly. I then started a full trip through the website to find out what I might qualify for, given my slightly unusual situation. So far, everything has worked out fine, and I have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen with my health insurance.

First, I'll continue with a slightly different plan that my former employer has chosen, which I'll pay for through the COBRA provisions. Sometime in January or February, if the information I have is correct, I'll move over to Medicaid, which I will stay with unless and until I find a job that ups my income sufficiently and / or provides better coverage. Given the breadth of Medicaid coverage in New York, it may be hard to find a better policy for any price, but you never know.

My conclusions? Speaking only for myself ...

1. New York’s Exchange website worked fine, supported by a helpful and fairly quick phone call when I had trouble understanding one of the questions put to me.

2. It looks like I have marginally more choices in health insurance now than I've ever had before, more possible contingency plans should my employment or money situation change, and a confidence I never had before that my health insurance ... which is absolutely essential to my survival ... will no longer depend on my employment status.

By the way, I once again recommend following Sarah Kliff’s daily updates on the Affordable Care Act, at Washington Post’s Wonkblog. Her reports are easy to understand, sober, and in-depth.

No comments: