Thursday, December 12, 2013

“Pick Yourself Up …"



Stories topic icon
The latest AmputeeOT video made me think of another story I’ve been told about my early childhood.

After I finally started walking, which was when I was 3 years old, my mother at some point told my older brother that she couldn’t let me go outside to play by myself, because when I fell, I wasn’t able to pick myself up again. Ian, who I’m guessing was 17 years old at that time, took me outside in the yard and by watching how I moved in various situations, where my strengths were, and my various ranges of motion, figured out a way that I could get myself up to my feet without help. That’s Occupational Therapy right there … kind of like Christina’s demonstration of standing up on an icy surface with a prosthetic leg. This is another childhood milestone I don’t actually remember, but it sure sounds right. And I know for sure that it meant a lot to Mom.

No comments: