Saturday, July 20, 2013

Swimming



While watching this, I realized that I haven't been properly swimming since I had my tracheostomy in 1985. By "properly" I mean head under water. I think I got into the water a few times over those years, during family reunions at the 1000 Islands region of the St. Lawrence River, but those were just standing chest deep for awhile, not swimming.

I used to love swimming. For awhile when I was a kid, we had a pool in our back yard, and I and my friends would spend hours in the water, goofing around, picking up pennies from the bottom of the pool, miming action-movie fistfights which for some reason were supposed to be way cooler when done in the water.

It has been so long since I effortlessly jumped into a body of water that I don't exactly miss it. I don't yearn to go swimming. But, I am a bit curious now and I might do something I'm surprised I've never done, and Google "swimming and tracheostomy" to see if there are any tips or accessories for swimming without allowing water to leak in.

No comments: