Friday, August 30, 2013

Question For Disability Nerds ...

Earlier this summer I posted some thoughts about starting a podcast about disability in movies and television. I haven't gotten very far yet with that idea, except that my list of potential topics has grown exponentially. I keep thinking about films and shows I'd forgotten, and finding out about ones I've never seen.

The idea still seems sound, and as far as I know there's no consistent, ongoing content looking at disability in popular culture from both a disability-aware standpoint and … this would be the key for me … from a TV and movie-friendly perspective. In other words, I'm not interested in a highly politicized or harshly judgmental treatment of the subject. I don't mind criticizing bad depictions, but I love TV and movies, so I don't assume their depictions of disability will all be bad. I also don't think "bad" is a simple concept here. It depends on the context, the intent, and the effect, all in equal parts. Plus entertainment value.

So, would you visit a website and / or listen to a podcast about how disability is depicted in movies and on TV shows? Vote in the poll in the right hand column.

No comments: