Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Mannequins



I know that “There’s no crying in baseball!”, but is there crying in Starbucks?

I’ve been seeing this video all day, embedded in other people’s blogs, but haven’t watched it until now, sitting here in my local Starbucks. Within 30 seconds of the video starting, I was genuinely concerned that I would start crying.

This hit me very, very hard, but in the best way. I think the best moment is seeing the woman with the curved spine literally hugging her mannequin, and later looking at it through the shop window with such love and happiness. I guess it’s not surprising I’d identify with her most, since her disability is so similar to mine. I also appreciated the apparently total respect of the artists and craftspeople who built the mannequins.

The whole thing is just fantastic.

Click here to see some of the posts where I found this, with other peoples' comments.

No comments: