Friday, March 21, 2014

Coming Attractions


Just a reminder that we are a little over two weeks from the return of Game Of Thrones, a show with more disabled characters than any other show on television. That’s not the main reason to watch Game Of Thrones, but it is a definite bonus if you are interested in seeing characters with disabilities.

[slight spoilers ahead]
  • Tyrion Lannister is a Little Person.
  • His brother, Jaimie Lannister is an Arm Amputee.
  • Bran Stark is a Paraplegic.
  • Hodor is Cognitively Impaired, with limited speech.
  • Both Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”) and Shireen Baratheon have severe facial disfigurements which do stigmatize them.
  • Maester Aemon is blind.
I don’t think I’m forgetting anyone, but I wouldn’t be surprise if someone reminded me of others.

By the way, I know she’s not talking about disability issues, but I absolutely loved the bit in this trailer where Daenerys Targaryen and Ser Barristan Selmy have this exchange:
Ser Barristan: “Sometimes, it is better to answer injustice with mercy.”
Daenerys: “I will answer injustice with justice!”
I’m not sure why that struck me so powerfully ...

No comments: