Saturday, March 1, 2014

Why Disabled People Hate Bureaucracy

Illustration of quotation marks
Okay, I guess everyone hates bureaucracy, but disabled people hate it more, because we have to deal with it more often, and the stakes are usually higher, and consequences worse, when bureaucracy fails.

Case in point:
"I’ve not had a shower for nearly 18 months, and it’s been about 2 years since my last bath. I have a wet room but no suitable shower chair, which they won’t give me until I have a hoist, which they won’t give me until I’ve had the case conference, which I can’t have until I’ve seen the consultant, who I can’t see until I can get transport sorted (but is meant to be happening in February). Yeah, complicated.”
From a blog post by Dannilion found at livingwithdisability, via too brain fogged for this.

No comments: